Monday, April 11, 2011

Second Service Learning Reflection

I believe this service learning experience and the first annual Gordon Memorial Health Services Community Health Fair provided a great deal of important knowledge and services to its participants.  Many types of services and health professionals were represented at the health fair including physical therapy, optometry, diabetic foot checks, massage therapy, immunization services and well child checks.  At least 200 members of the community were present at the health fair (greater than 10% of the population of the community).  I performed five well child checks and was able to provide several new parents with important information related to scheduled well child checks, immunization schedules and normal growth and development.  The health fair planning committee also offered a free pedometer to any attendee who returned a health fair survey.  The feedback received was exceptional and most attendees felt that the health fair provided necessary and beneficial information and services.


This health fair service learning project is an example of a necessary service to the community, however, I don't feel that the health fair alone is sufficient to meet many community needs.  The intention of the health fair planning committee was to offer services such as lipid profile, glucose screening, well child checks and diabetic foot checks that would enhance awareness of available services and open doors to potential solutions for health care in the community.  Other means to meet these needs included follow up health care providers with their patients regarding abnormal test results obtained at the health fair.  In short, the health fair is a forum to showcase available health care services but is not by any means inclusive and does not replace the need for routine preventative health care. 
The best part of this semester's service learning project was watching the event take place and be successful.  The positive feedback received by health fair attendees was also very validating.  As part of the health fair planning committee, we faced many challenges.  The most frustrating part was poor weather on the day of the event which limited attendance from the public and presenters.


Through this process, I have learned a great deal about myself.  This project was certainly beneficial in developing my project planning skills.  I worked closely with the health fair planning committee to contact vendors, plan the event and publicize it.  I learned that even a small (5 person) planning committee can put on a successful health fair when everyone is committed to seeing the project become successful.


In the future, I plan to work on further community outreach projects such as the reintroduction of "mommy and me" support group in the community, healthy cooking classes and more health fair planning.  Even though this community is small and services are limited, I believe there is a need for greater community outreach and the members of the community have demonstrated a willingness to learn and desire for health related outreach services.

5 comments:

  1. Cassie,

    What a great project you have chosen and completed! I know the mothers and your community are greatful for the service that you provided. I know that the feeling of personally contributing to the health of those in need on a local/community level is very satisfying and I'm sure was rewarding to you as well. It will be interesting to see how your future projects develop! I know your community and employer are fortunate to have someone who is as dedicated to providing excellent health care and education to their community as you are!

    Great job!

    Troy
    Mark 12:29-31

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cassie

    Wow! It sounds like your community health fair was a huge success! I loved your pictures, especially of the one with the infant. I think you are right on in saying that the health fairs are not a replacement for a primary care provider, I know many patients think they can just go to one of these fairs and be fine the rest of the year. Through my project, I am finding "health care access" is a huge problem, especially for the underserved populations. What is really amazing is that these families are covered by Medicaid and CHP+, they just don't know how to access the system to find needed health care. I think a fair like this really provides a venue for acess to care. Great job!

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie, you did a great job in your blog and I loved the pictures and the press exposure as well! I can tell that you had a rewarding experience and offered a necessary service to your community. I am glad that you are going to offer the "mommy and me" support group in the future. I was able to work with a similar project in New Orleans and loved it. Best wishes in your future service learning endeavors! God Bless! Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassie,
    How wonderful to participate in this community health fair. i am sure your presence was comforting to the mothers and attendees. This is a impactful project and I was thrilled to see your local paper carried the story with picture.s Super job and super project. Congratulations.

    Julie Benz

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Cassie,
    What wonderful pictures. You are doing so much with your service project. You have impacted many lives. Your pictures and story serve as an inspiration. thanks for sharing.
    Janet w

    ReplyDelete