Thursday, June 23, 2011

Semester 2 - Initial Service Learning Reflection

My service learning project for this second semester involves developing a medically focused summer camp for children in our rural community.  The camp is called "medical explorers camp" and is targeted at children aged 8-13 years with a goal of inciting interest in medical careers as well as providing education on various safety and prevention topics.  I will be serving in Gordon, Nebraska, a rural community of approximately 1800 residents in a medically underserved area.  I am working with Tracey Baseggio, a human resources employee at Gordon Memorial Hospital to plan and develop the medical camp.  This camp has been occurring annually for the past 3 years and I have participated each year as a presenter teaching topics such as casting and suturing to the camp participants.  The camp is funded by Gordon Memorial Hospital and the Rural Community Partnership. 

This year's camp will be focused on tramatic brain injury prevention.  I am working with a community group to obtain helmet donations for children attending the camp who do not own or use a helmet for activities such as biking, skateboarding or horseback riding.  There will also be a short lecture on concussion and some activities in which the children will make helmets for eggs and drop them.  The goals of this camp include: 1) increasing awareness of head injuries 2) promoting head injury prevention and 3) inciting interest in medical careers through discussion of various roles in the health care field.    



The DNP role in this instance, is related to involvement in community wellness and health promotion education.  With regard to topics such as traumatic brain injury, education regarding prevention of these injuries can contribute to health promotion activities such as helmet utilization.  In my community of Gordon, Nebraska there are many poor and under served families who are not aware of the importance of helmets in safety or do not have the resources to purchase them for their children.  If, as a DNP, I am able to work with community organizations to educate and provide tools to children, I hope to positively affect the culture of safety in this rural community.     

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cassie,
    Your post is gerat,the pictures are wonderful. The service project you are doing is great. The camp is such a great idea. I bet you inspire many who want to be nurses in your area. Great job.
    Janet W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cassie!

    Your post brought back such great memories from my childhood. I belonged to a medical explorers group when I was in middle school. I loved it and obviously the experiences made such an impression on me that I chose a career in nursing. Your compassion for chidren and your passion for nursing will have such an impact on the children at the camp. I am looking forward to following your blog this summer!

    Take care and God Bless!

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete